ORNITHOPTERS, ARE VISUAL RANGE, REMOTE CONTROLLED MECHANIZED BIRDLIKE UAV’S
- Because of their deformable motion of wings their fuel life is double of equally weighing fixed wing and rotational wing UAV’s.
- Their vibration is lesser too which aids having stable cameras and clearer visuals.
- It can carry a max payload of 50gm
- It can be made both as a line of sight operated model through a remote or an autonomous model guided by GPS.
- The 1m span model has an endurance of 30mins for a payload of 50gms which is double of other types of UAV’s for the same payload.
- Wings are made of polythene or parachute material, supported by bamboo for stiffness.
It has a few advantages over Quadcopters for surveillance:
- Because of birdlike look they are easily camouflaged
- They are less noisy
- Because of light weight they will not hurt people if they drop in a crowd
Some uses are:
- Pesticide Spraying
- Radiation Measurement
- Photographing Hazardous Areas
- Bird Scare on Fields and Airports